Wednesday 8 October 2014

The Magical Himalayas

The Majestic Himalayas
Randomly assembled lines by an Urdu poet describing the Himalayas:

"O Himalah! O rampart of the realm of India!
 Bowing down, the sky kisses your forehead
To the outward eye you are a mere mountain range
In reality you are our sentinel, you are India's rampart


Snow has endowed you with the turban of honour
Which scoffs at the crown of the
world-illuminating sun

O Himalah! Are you like a theater stage
Which nature's hand has made for its elements?"
My one month holiday to the North was about to begin. I was really excited as I embarked the plane to Srinagar, and occupied a window seat. The pilot announced that we would be travelling via Rajasthan.
I peeked out of the window and all I could see were brown patches of barren land. Suddenly, far away amongst the chaotic clouds, I noticed a white peak that almost looked like it could touch the sky. I dismissed this frivolous thought and convinced myself that I misunderstood a cloud. But all of a sudden the clouds moved like the curtains of an Opera, to reveal tall majestic snowcapped mountains. Words couldn’t describe the beauty, and all I could utter to myself was ‘Wow!’
A closer look at the Himalayas, also known as the 'land of snow'


My eyes were transfixed as I peeked outside the window. I could see civilization below some thousand odd feet. The tin roof tops sparkled under the sun's rays that looked like rubies and diamonds strewn on the ground.
 


Roof tops shine like silver and rubies
And then just like magic, the scenery changed from snow white mountains to beautiful green pastures, greeting you with a warm welcome to explore Kashmir.
 
Welcome to Srinagar Airport
 


No comments:

Post a Comment